- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped and divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 hot chilies (or more to your preference), chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Juice of 2 key limes
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a food processor or blender, process 3 of the tomatoes, onion, chilies, ginger, and garlic until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, then add the cumin, coriander, and fenugreek. Let the spices toast and flower, stirring constantly in the oil, for about 1 minute.
- Add the processed ingredients, increase heat to high, and fry until the “fresh” onion smell subsides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, remaining tomato, turmeric, and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, lime juice, and season with salt to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh chopped cilantro.