Spring in Austin can mean unpredictable weather: one day it is a sunny margarita-sipping kind of town and the next day you could be bundled up in a sweater hiding inside from a frigid downpour. Spiced Carrot Bread makes use of carrots, which are locally available all spring, to create a nutritious and hearty breakfast bread that will give you the energy to brave chilly, wet spring downpours.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped
- Beat sugar, eggs, vanilla, and oil in a large bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, carrots, pecans, and raisins into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and place it in a preheated oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.