Tacu Tacu is an Afro-Peruvian staple that can be garnished with anything from seafood stews to sauteed vegetables. This version is great with a fresh Ensalada Criolla.
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small purple onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Ají Amarillo or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 key lime, juiced
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion, garlic, and cumin until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- While the onions saute, combine rice and beans in a large bowl. Add the Ají Amarillo and mash the rice and beans together.
- Add the sauteed mixture to the beans and lime juice and combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Form palm-sized patties using about 1 cup of the mixture.
- Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray and cook the patties over medium-high heat until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.