Tofu takes the place of cheese in this stuffed shell recipe. The addition of dandelion greens and walnuts it is not only a healthy choice, it is very tasty!
- 1 package large pasta shells, boiled and cooled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of dandelion greens, chopped
- 1 pound firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 preparation of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese or Vegan Parmesan substitute (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Over medium heat saute the onion until it is tender. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add dandelion greens, tofu, and walnuts. Continue cooking, stirring continuously, over medium heat until the greens begin to wilt, about two minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat.
- Stuff the shells and arrange in a large baking dish. When the dish is at capacity top with sauce and a little grated Parmesan cheese or cheese substitute.
- Bake at 350 degrees until sauce simmers, about 15 minutes.
Gluten-free variation: Substitute gluten-free shell or manicotti pasta, or roll the filling in blanched Brussels sprouts greens or collard leaves.