Tofu LT Sandwich
- 1 lb. tofu, drained, pressed, and sliced in 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Vegan mayonnaise substitute
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Lettuce of your choice (Romaine or Bibb work well)
- Sliced bread (substitute gluten-free if preferred)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Prepare tofu batter by pouring almond milk in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish combine cornmeal, nutritional yeast, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Dip tofu slices one at time in the almond milk then cornmeal mixture. Place battered tofu on a greased cookie sheet and repeat until all the tofu is battered.
- Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes then flip. Continue baking until golden brown, about an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread a healthy serving of vegan mayonnaise substitute on two slices of bread. Stack a few lettuce leaves, a baked tofu slice, and one to two tomato slices on the sandwich and enjoy!