It is causa time! This version is inspired by the one we enjoyed at Portland’s upscale Peruvian restaurant, Andina. It just so happens that most of the ingredients are in season and available from Johnson’s Backyard Garden this week.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, boiled until tender
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or quarters
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons purple onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 medium avocado
- 6 key limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons aji amarillo paste
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise substitute
- Bring a pot of water to boil, then blanch the green bean pieces for about 30 seconds.
- Prepare the vegetable salad by combining tomatoes, blanched green beans, and onion in a large bowl with the juice of 2 key limes and minced parsley. Season with salt to taste.
- Prepare the potato mixture by combining potatoes, juice of 3 lime limes, aji amarillo paste, and vegan mayo in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to combine until smooth, then salt to taste.
- Prepare the causa by creating a smooth layer of potato on the bottom of a casserole dish. Add a layer of vegetable salad and garnish with avocado slices. Sprinkle with remaining lime juice and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.