- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, grated
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup flour or gluten-free flour blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise substitute
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 small poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, and minced
- Salt to taste
- Combine flax seed and water and set aside to soak.
- Combine zucchini and a pinch of salt in a large mesh strainer. Set aside and allow water to drain for about 5 minutes. Press slightly with a wooden spoon to release excess liquid.
- When zucchini has drained, combine in a large bowl with onions, garlic, and flax seed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a cast iron skillet iron skillet over high heat until hot, then reduce heat to medium-low. Spray pan with cooking spray. Form palm-sized patties from zucchini mixture and carefully place in skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then flip and continue cooking until the other side is browned.
- Continue cooking fritters, re-greasing the skillet between each fritter, until all the zucchini mixture is used.
- While the fritters are cooking combine the sauce ingredients in a small dish.
- Serve fritters warm, drizzled with sauce.