Romesco is a delicious Spanish sauce made with roasted peppers and nuts. It is typically thickened with bread crumbs, which don’t add anything to the flavor. To make this recipe gluten-free we just left them out. Johnson’s Backyard Garden has a lot of delicious sweet peppers right now – including red carmens, orange yummies (my favorite), and yellow ringos – that would be great in this recipe. The sauce can be used in place of tomato marinara or served cold with a crudité.
- 1 pound sweet peppers, roasted and peeled
- 1/4 pound ripe tomatoes, roasted
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and almonds in a food processor until thoroughly chopped.
- Blend the ingredients and add vinegar, sherry, and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then serve.