James adds the finishing touches to our Garden Marinara.
- 4 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 large ringo or sweet bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Remove the tomato cores, place the tomatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil drain the tomatoes in a large colander and spray with cold water. remove the skins and set aside.
- While the tomatoes are coming to a boil, place the peppers in a medium baking dish coated liberally with olive oil. Place in an oven and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until the skins are browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer hot peppers to an airtight container and allow to steam for about 15 minutes. Remove skins, stems, and seeds then dice and set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic at a low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelization begins, about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to the saute and continue cooking until all of the liquid from the mushrooms is expressed, about five minutes.
- Add skinned tomatoes, minced roasted peppers, jalapeno, and oregano to the saute. Combine with a wooden spoon and break up the tomatoes.
- Lower heat to a simmer and season sauce with salt and sugar to taste. Continue to simmer over low heat until the sauce has reduced by about 2 cups, or about an hour.
- Add chopped basil and remove from heat.