Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie with Walnut Gravy
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1/8 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 pound sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cooked black-eyed peas
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and saute onion over medium-low heat until fragrant. Add garlic, mushrooms, peppers, and hot pepper flakes and continue sauteing until peppers soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add parsley and black-eyed peas and combine with sauteed vegetables over medium-high heat. Add broth and rice flour stirring until thoroughly combined, then allow liquid to come to a simmer. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a deep casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to whisk potatoes with soy milk, soy sauce, and ground sage until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes on top of the filling and place in an oven heated to 350 degrees. Bake until the filling simmers and the potatoes develop a slightly golden crust, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and consider serving with walnut gravy.