Sweet Potato and Barley Burgers
- 1/2 cup barley
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook barley in the vegetable stock over medium heat until all of the water has absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the barley cooks, heat oil in a large skillet and saute onions, garlic, and hot pepper over medium heat until onions are translucent about 2 minutes.
- When the barley is cooked, combine barley, sauteed onions, sweet potatoes, parsley, and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form patties and bake on a well greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Flip the patties and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.