This sauce is typically served with meat, but it makes a great gravy-like sauce any savory dish. It makes about 1/3 a cup of thick sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium leek
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and leeks and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add rosemary, broth, wine, and tomato paste to the sauteed vegetables. Combine and bring to a rolling boil.
- Cook until reduced by half, about 45 minutes. Drain the vegetables and return the sauce to a pan.
- Bring the sauce back to a boil and allow to continue to reduce until the sauce reaches the desired consistency, about 30 minutes.