These quick radish and cipollini onion pickles can be served with a variety of dishes to add a touch of acidity and sweetness.
- 16 cipollini onions, tops and bottoms removed, skinned
- 12 red radishes, stems and tails removed, cut in half
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into large matchsticks
- 2 cups water, salted slightly
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 15 black peppercorns, crushed slightly
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Bring the salted water to boil. Add the onions, radishes, and carrot, and let boil for 4 minutes. Drain and place vegetables into a shallow non-reactive bowl.
- In a small non-reactive saucepan, heat the vinegar, peppercorns, sugar, salt, and cayenne over medium heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the boiled vegetables. Let cool, then chill slightly before serving.
Store in a sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week.