This recipe is inspired by a salad by Bryce Gilmore, owner of of Austin’s own Barely Swine. The abundant savory roasted vegetables along with a butter-based dressing make it a very satisfying entree salad.
- 1 pound young carrots, washed and halved
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- 5 cups baby arugula
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds, divided
- 2 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds, divided
- salt to taste
- Spray a large cookie sheet with olive oil and arrange the carrots and fennel on the sheet for roasting.
- Spray the vegetables liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic, paprika, and salt.
- Place the vegetables in the oven to roast at 350 degrees until vegetables are tender and fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking prepare the dressing. Melt butter in a small skillet and cook over medium heat until slightly brown with a nutty fragrance. Transfer the browned butter to a blender and combine with balsamic vinegar and one tablespoon of sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- When the vegetables are finished roasting, remove from the oven and allow to cool for five to ten minutes. Assemble the salad by arranging a serving of vegetables over 1/2 to 1 cup of arugula, drizzle with dressing, and top with a sprinkle of the remaining sunflower and pumpkin seeds.