In Texas there is a narrow window of overlap between the last of the spring fennel and the beginning fresh fig availability. Make the most of this limited season with a vegetarian variation on a classic French dish.
- 1 pound of fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced in to 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 pound fresh figs, halved
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in a rectangular glass baking dish then arrange the fennel and figs in an even layer. Season to taste then bake, covered, at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the fennel is tender, about for 45 minutes.
- Stir the fennel and figs then return them to the oven, uncovered, at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue to bake until the liquid has reduced and the fennel is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.