This very basic gravy is delicious as is, but it also can be seasoned a thousand different ways. If desired you can transform the flavor by adding diced onions, garlic, or shallots with the mushrooms. Adding a tablespoon of port or red wine to finish the saute will add extra depth and umami. The flavor can also be transformed with the addition of rubbed sage or minced fresh herbs in the last step.
- 1/4 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and mushrooms. Saute for just a minute or two over high heat until the mushrooms have expressed their liquid.
- Reduce heat to medium and add broth. Slowly sprinkle in the rice flour, whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Bring the gravy to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to reduce and simmer for about 1 minute until the gravy thickens to the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.