A Blinker is a classic cocktail made with 2 ounces rye, 1 ounce grapefruit juice, and a teaspoon of grenadine. This marmalade is inspired by the cocktail and everything else that tastes good with grapefruit.
- 2 medium grapefruits
- 1 medium orange
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups raw sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 4 ounces rye whiskey
- Juice the grapefruits and orange. Finely chop the rinds and combine with the juice in a large non-reactive soup pot.
- Zest and juice the whole lemon. Add the lemon zest and juice, chopped ginger, salt, water, and two cups of sugar to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Once the mixture has matured, add the remaining two cups of sugar and rye whiskey. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent the mixture from burning and continue to simmer until, using a candy thermometer, the mixture reaches 220 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have to increase the heat-level to reach the right temperature be sure to increase the frequency of your stirring as well.
- Remove from heat, and ladle into sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe rims, seal jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the jars from the water bath and let cool for 24 hours. Test the seals then store in a cool, dark place until ready to use or serve.
Makes 4 half-pints