Borscht is a traditional Ukrainian soup with a gorgeous purple-red hue. It’s a delicious way to use beets and can be served hot or chilled.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (about 3 medium) red beets, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 6 cups vegetable stock (see our recipe)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parsley or dill for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish (optional for vegan preparation)
- In a large soup pot, saute onion and carrots in olive oil over medium-high heat until onions become translucent.
- Add beets and rutabaga, continuing to saute for about 2 minutes more.
- Add stock, cover, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and continue boiling until beets and rutabaga pieces are soft. Season to taste.
- Using an immersion blender or upright blender, process soup until smooth.
- Serve warm immediately or chill and serve cool. Garnish each bowl of soup with fresh parsley or dill and a dollop of sour cream (optional).