This chilled summer soup is a perfect way to enjoy seasonal fresh vegetables.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds), quartered
- 1 large green bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 green tomato, quartered (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, halved and seeded (optional)
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Olive oil
- 1 medium purple onion, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional finely chopped fresh vegetables (onion, cucumber, corn, etc.) and herbs for garnish
- Place the tomatoes, bell pepper, green tomato, jalapeno and garlic in a large baking dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Broil on high until the vegetables have some light charring – about 8-10 minutes.
- Put the broiled vegetables, onion, cucumber, lime juice, and vinegar in a large blender and process until smooth. If the consistency is too thick, you can add additional tomato juice or vegetable broth.
- Season with salt to taste. Let the gazpacho cool or chill slightly in the refrigerator before serving. Serve with finely chopped fresh vegetables and herbs to garnish each bowl.