Winter Squash Cornbread
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup masa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1 large egg (or egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup milk or unsweetened milk substitute
- 1 cup cooked mashed squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chipotle pepper, diced (optional)
- Combine cornmeal, masa, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cumin in a large mixing bowl.
- In medium bowl, thoroughly combine egg, milk substitute, squash, and vegetable oil.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. The batter should be thick but move easily.
- Liberally coat a cast iron skillet with cooking spray or butter and pour the batter in to the skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown it can pass the toothpick test, about 20-30 minutes.