In addition to Italian Weddings, these cookies may be enjoyed at a variety of other ethnic events such as Mexican Weddings or Russian Tea Parties.
Our vegan version of these cookies uses almonds, pecans, and optionally ground flax seed for an extra nutty flavor.
- 1 1/4 cup garbanzo flour
- 1 1/4 cup of rice flour
- 3/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup non-margarine butter substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the garbanzo flour, rice flour, ground almonds, flax seed (if using), and pecans, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter substitute with the white sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually until combined.
- Once the dough is formed, cover the dough or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours.
- Once the dough has chilled, use your hands to form balls from about 1 tablespoon of dough at a time. Bake the cookies at 325 degrees Fahrenheit on a non-stick or greased cookie sheet until the edges are lightly brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on a rack for about 20 minutes, then roll in confectioners sugar.