Beets give these oatmeal cookies a marvelous purple-red hue!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup raw or turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup grated red beets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until smooth in consistency.
- Mix in cinnamon, vanilla extract, and egg until incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the flour is fully incorporated, but don’t work the dough more than that.
- Slowly mix in the oats, raisins, walnuts, and grated beets. Once fully incorporated the dough should be a nice purple-red in color.
- On a non-stick or parchment-lined cookie sheet, drop tablespoons of dough separated by about 1 inch. Flatten each ball slightly.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack from the baking sheet after letting cool for about 2 minutes. Makes about 18 cookies.