My allergies caught up with me today and I developed a slight cough and a sore throat. This rich, nutritious, and slightly spicy soup made me feel much better.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 fresh hot peppers, diced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ounce American style lager
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion, garlic, and hot pepper over medium heat until the onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beer, broth, lemon juice, sugar, and broccoli and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the broccoli is tender, about four minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast and rice flour and simmer to thicken, about one minute.
- Serve with the garnish of your choice.