This attractive soup is a great way to get some more super nutritious kale into your diet. The addition of a small amount of sugar helps tone down kale’s natural bitterness.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bunches kale, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cream (optional for vegan preparation)
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil in a large soup pot until the onion just begins to brown.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale and sugar, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a large blender, add cream, and process until smooth.
- Return soup to pot, heat until thoroughly warmed, add a pinch or two of ground nutmeg, season to taste, and serve.