BBQ Tempeh LT Sandwich
- 1 8-ounce block tempeh (grain free if necessary)
- Cooking spray
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- Lettuce of your choice (Romaine or Bibb work well)
- Vegan mayonnaise substitute
- Sandwich bread (gluten-free if necessary)
Easy BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons finely minced white onion
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- a pinch cayenne pepper
- black pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil and gently saute onion over medium heat just until the onions are translucent, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste,vinegar, water, sugar, chipotle powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and a few twists of black pepper. Once the sauce comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir tempeh slices in sauce to coat. Remove and place on greased cookies sheet
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
- To assemble sandwich, spread a serving of vegan mayonnaise substitute on two slices of bread. Add a few leaves of lettuce, 3-4 slices of baked tempeh, and a one or two slices of tomato. Top with reaming slice of bread and enjoy!