This take on the classic Italian cookie is both gluten-free and vegan! Enjoy these with your morning coffee or soy latte!
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo flour
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour, potato starch, or egg replacer
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios chopped
- In a large bowl, combine garbanzo flour, rice flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, oil , and almond extract.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour. When the dough is consistent add the pistachios.
- With rice-floured hands, roll the dough into two-inch wide rolls with flattened ends.
- Place these rolls onto well-oiled cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300 degrees.
- Allow the rolls to cool on a rack for about 15 minutes, then cut the rolls into 1/2-inch wide slices to make the cookies. Place the cookies back on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the cookies and brown the other side.
- Cool the cookies on racks to keep them dry, then store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.