This is our vegan take on Imbibe’s Malted Hot Cocoa Mix. The mix has a higher cocoa to sugar ratio so it is more flavorful than almost anything you can get in the store. Since the cocoa is so prominent it is important to use a nice powder like Valrhona.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered soy milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch, tapioca flour, or potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of fine sea salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Gently combine ingredients in a medium bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Sift the ingredients into a large bowl to thoroughly combine. You can store this powder in airtight containers and give it as gifts to your friends and loved ones.
- To prepare the hot cocoa, combine 1/4 cup hot chocolate mix with 8 ounces of hot water.
- Top with your favorite gelatin-free marshmallows or, if you are Colombian, a slice of fresh cheese, or, if you are in the Christmas spirit, add a splash of whiskey or rum.