Last weekend AFBA members and attendees of BlogHer were invited to an event hosted by the National Mango Board. We had the opportunity to try some great mango based food and cocktails at Swift’s Attic and the Mango Board was kind enough to send us a box of mangoes! One of our gift mangoes was under-ripe which is a fantastic opportunity to create this classic southeast Asian salad.
- 1 green mango, deseeded and julienned
- 1 bunch green onions, diced, greens discarded
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 Thai chili or serrano pepper, minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetarian fish sauce (available at Asian markets)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Juice of 2 key limes
- Pinch of sugar
- Combine mango, green onions, cabbage, peanuts, cilantro, hot and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vegetarian fish sauce, sesame oil, key lime juice, and sugar.
- Add the dressing to the salad, tossing to combine.