This past Sunday at the Mueller Farmers’ Market there was a vendor selling the Peruvian purple corn drink Chicha Morada. At the same time Dai Due was selling a beet soda. This is how inspiration is born. Our Beet-cha Morada is a light, refreshing drink with a beautiful purple-red hue.
- 1 pound red beets, scrubbed and halved
- 8 cups of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Place beets in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling until water reduces by 1/3rd.
- Remove from heat and carefully mash ingredients with a potato masher to break apart the beets.
- Return to medium heat and add cinnamon and cloves. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain ingredients into another bowl or large pot. Add lemon zest, sugar, and orange juice. Allow to cool and serve over ice.