Seeds, berries, and fruit make this pie suitable for man and beasts alike. It was largely inspired by our neighbors Brenna and Brian. They host monthly vegan dinners where they introduced us to sunflower seed crusts with tart fruit fillings.
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons non-margarine dairy free butter substitute
- 5 small peaches, halved and peeled
- 1 pint strawberries, cored
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 2 tablespoons egg replacer
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- In a food processor, combine sunflower and hemp seeds with white sugar, a pinch of salt, and butter substitute. Pulse the mixture until a dough forms. Press the crust mixture into a pie dish and set aside.
- Combine peaches, strawberries, and cranberries with lemon zest honey, molasses, and cinnamon until smooth. Gradually sprinkle in agar, egg replacer, and a pinch of salt, then continue mixing. Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake the pie at 350 degrees until the crust is lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool before serving. Top with a vegan whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.